A growing market
The postal market has undergone numerous technical and economic changes:
- The turnover of the postal market grew by 4,7% in 2019;
- This rate even increases at around 10,6% for the parcel and express segment;
- The parcel and express segment is still growing: per capita, per capita, a parcel was sent or an express service was used every 16 days in 2019;
Further stimulate e-commerce
On 13 June 2017, BIPT published a study carried out by KPMG, proposing 7 recommendations, i.e. 7 ideas for action to further stimulate the e-commerce market in Belgium:
- Increase transparency;
- Standardise obligations;
- A fairer tariff system;
- Adapt labour legislation;
- Proactive monitoring of trends;
- Collection of waste electrical and electronic equipment
- Regroup parcel shipments.
On 12 January 2018, BIPT issued an opinion with a view to the implementation of these recommendations: increasing transparency, standardising the administrative obligations and information.
However, some of the proposed actions fall outside of the scope of BIPT’s competence.
Always more transparency
In 2017, within the framework of its mission to foster competition, BIPT published a website enabling the geolocation of the postal service points of operators that are active in Belgium: postalpoint.be.
In 2019, BIPT published online a series of questions and answers regarding the most frequent issues concerning the delivery of parcels, mentioning whom to turn to in case of problems.